21 Mar Should You Plant Grass Seed in the Spring?
Spring seeding disadvantages
- Increased crabgrass
- Ground is cold
- Slower germination (8 weeks to maturity)
- Entering heat stress of summer
- Increased watering for a longer period of time (cost & labor)
- Increased broad-leaf weeds
- Less effective crabgrass pre-emergent control
- Broad-leaf weeds cannot be sprayed until grass has matured
- Fertilizing treatments of nitrogen uneven to existing lawn
- Result can and most likely will be impaired
- Higher cost due to crabgrass pre-emergent control
Most towns currently have some water ban in effect so the necessary watering to get the seed established may be impossible.
Fall seeding advantages
- Crabgrass being an annual dies off (no competition)
- Intended seeded areas are now exposed for seeding due to effective crabgrass treatment in the spring, and broadleaf control throughout year
- Soil is warm
- Quicker germination (4 weeks to maturity)
- Less watering (less cost and labor)
- Coming out of the heat stress of summer
- Lower price due to Pre-emergent no longer needed
- Better results
Contact us today or call us at 800-649-9992 for your free estimate with on-site analysis (our price is based on square footage).