Before booking a hotel room, you may want to read user reviews of the hotel and because nowadays guests who’ve had bad experiences with bugs report them online. Keep in mind that a report about one hotel does not mean the issue wasn’t isolated to one room, or that hotel management hasn’t since exterminated and is on top of the problem.
Travelers should check their bed for telltale signs of the bugs before any luggage is brought in to the room. So what should you do before tucking yourself into bed? Here are some tips:
- Peel back the bed sheets and check the mattress, running your fingers along the upper and lower seams. Make sure to check the mattress tag; bed bugs often hide there.
- Experts recommend removing and examining the headboard if possible. Check for tiny black spots (excrement) that are smaller than poppy seeds. You may also see translucent light brown skins or, in the case of an infestation— live bugs.
- Check the bedside table. Look for signs of bed bugs in the drawers and along the wall on the side of the bed that is less likely to be disturbed by cleaning staff and guests.
- If you brought a hairdryer, you can put it on high heat and run it near the cracks and crevices of the bed frame. If bed bugs are present, they will come out trying to get away from the heat.
- You may want to elevate suitcases and keep them off the floor, like on a luggage stand, but bed bugs can climb so this does not keep your luggage safe.
- If you see powder in the drawers or on the headboard, it is likely that the room has already been treated for bed bugs by a pest control company.
- If bed bugs are detected, travelers should request another room. Be sure to inform hotel management.
- Just moving to a different room may not be the total answer. You should repeat the thorough inspection of any new or different room you are offered.
- When you pack to leave, inspect your luggage carefully first, and inspect every item as you pack to help detect any bugs or their signs. Laundering most cloth items with typical hot water and detergent followed by drying on low heat for at least 20 minutes (or standard dry cleaning) should kill all bed bugs in or on such items. Sealing freshly laundered items inside a plastic bag should help keep any more bed bugs from getting in those items later to hide (and be carried back with you).
- Our retail area has travel spray designed for treating your luggage and it is also useful to spray on your clothing to prevent ticks.
Call Ford’s Hometown Services with all of you pest and lawn care needs. 1-800-649-9992
Lush Green Lawn
Hydretain: This safe organic application applied prior to drought will reduce the amount of water needed to properly support the plants growth. This is not a wetting agent. It is an organic humectant that pulls moisture to the root hair and becomes stored until needed by the plant. The plant will hold and retain the water at the root hair, keeping it from evaporating before it is properly used. Over watering is not a problem either. It will hold only what is needed. This revolutionary product can be used on lawns, vegetable gardens, plant beds, flower beds, and even in hanging plants. It can be used to cut your water bill and you will have your neighbors green with envy and scratching their heads wondering how your lawn is so green and you don’t run your sprinklers like they have to. Watch our video on our website. You will be amazed at how well it works. At such a low cost, it will pay for itself on your water bill savings. This is a no brainer. We expect this service to become huge. Call for a free phone estimate 1-800-649-9992
Wishing our Scheduling Supervisor a very Happy Birthday (one day early)! We hope you enjoy your special day.
Well we had severe drought conditions last year, but this year water is no problem. Some bugs get slowed down with the cool rains like wasps, bees and hornets but others thrive in the moist conditions. The nuisance moisture pests will probably be more prevalent this year compared to last year. Millipedes, ground beetles, fungus gnats, snails, springtails, earwigs and centipedes all fit this category. They are happy to stay under leaf litter and mulch until it dries out and they search for other areas such as your garage or basement. Did your basement get wet? Well, wet wood invites Carpenter Ants, Termites and Wood Boring Beetles. It is important to dry out these areas and get a de-humidifier going as soon as possible. Reduce moist areas and keep your basement dry to prevent further damage. Want to stop these pests in their tracks, have a preventative spray soon. Serving all of central MA and surrounding towns. CALL TODAY 1-800-649-9992
We wish you a very Happy Birth Leo! Enjoy your day “Batman”!
I ran across this photo of Chris Ford and I just had to share it. This was taken at the Worcester Home Show a few years back.
If you are in need of services for your lawn, tick control, mosquito control, carpenter ant control or any other issue, please call today 1-800-649-9992.
Carpenter Ant Frass
Carpenter Ants can be black or combination of red and black or red and brown. Workers vary in size and can range from ¼ to ½ inch and the queens range from ½ to 5/8ths. These ants are an important part of recycling and composting wood in their natural setting, but are destructive and unsettling when they invade our homes and businesses. Most carpenter ant queens start a nest in decayed or water-damaged wood that is softened by fungus. Normally, we find a major nest containing thousands of ants and smaller satellite colonies containing fewer ants. These satellite colonies can be found anywhere. The presence of winged ants (a swarming) indicates a mature colony close by.
Our Pest Management Professionals are experts in eradicating carpenter ants. They will ask questions to try to deduce where the ants may have set up the primary nest. Their questions may include: Have you had any water leaks or water problems in general? How many ants do you see and in what area do you see the most? Do you see ants every spring or do you see any with wings? Our professional will also look for conducive conditions such as mulch up against the foundation, excessive leaf litter, woodpiles and scrap wood, bushes and trees which touch the home and any earth-to-wood contact. If ants are seen, the technician may put carpenter ant bait down. The ants will pick up this “food” and head back to the nest to feed the queen and the young. These clues will hopefully lead to where the problem is and the discovery of where the nesting sites are. If you are a do-it yourself person and continue to have ants yearly, you may be causing a small problem to become a big one. Are you beeing bugged? Contact us at FORDSHOMETOWN.COM or 1-800-649-9992.
Mosquitoes and ticks are hungry and waiting to make you itch. It makes it very difficult to enjoy your yard with these blood-thirsty critters buzzing around and lurking in the yard. Now is the time to protect Your Family & Pets from Ticks and Mosquitoes.
Enjoy These Outdoor Activities Itch and Worry Free:
Cookouts, Pool Parties, Weddings, Graduations, Game of Horseshoes, Back Yard Celebrations, Relaxing on your Hammock, Doing Yard Work, Playing With Your Pets, Dogs on Runners, Tending to Your Garden, Playing on Swing sets/Sandboxes
REMEMBER: 1 in 4 Deer Ticks Carry Lyme Disease
We Offer Both Chemical And All Organic Options
For more information and a free quote call: 1-800-649-9992