You never know where you might pick up a bed bug. These sneaky hitchhikers are known to cling to items and travel home with people who aren’t even aware they’ve just brought a blood-sucking pest into their living space. Bed bugs might hitch a ride home with you from a hotel room, your child’s dorm room, or even a friend’s house, or be inadvertently introduced to your home from second-hand items. The best way to avoid an infestation is to pest-proof your home as best you can – but if you find yourself with a suspected bed bug, these tips can help control the outbreak while you get professional pest control help.
5 Tips to Stay Bed Bug-free
At Ford’s Hometown Services, we know a thing or two about dealing with bed bug infestations – and trust us, you’d rather not have a problem! Here are five ways you can prevent or control bed bugs:
- Clean up the clutter. Clutter creates lots of hiding places for bed bugs — and it makes finding them and eradicating them harder, too. Keep clothes off the floor as one wandering bug could hitch a ride on a sweatshirt and end up infesting your closet. One top area to focus on is under the bed. If you currently store items under your bed, stop.
- Wash your bedding regularly – and dry on high heat. About once a week, wash your bedding at the highest temperature as heat can help kill bed bugs and their eggs. Also, wash any blankets or clothing that touch the floor as bed bugs and their eggs can hide in laundry hampers too.
- Avoid taking furniture from curbs or dumpsters. A free couch might not be so free if it comes with bed bugs. Be leery of bringing furniture from unknown places into your home.
- Wash clothes after traveling. It’s good practice to wash your clothes and clean any luggage when you get home after traveling, particularly if you’ve stayed in a hotel.
- Don’t panic! Just saying “bed bugs” sends many people into a panic. While these insects can be tough to eliminate, it’s not impossible. Don’t throw out all of your bedding or clothing, as they can often be treated and saved. Just call a professional extermination company like Ford’s Hometown Service.
Hire a Pest Control Professional
Getting rid of bed bugs on your own is hard. Your best chance for success is to hire an experienced pest control company like Ford’s Hometown Services. The team at Ford’s Hometown Services has decades of experience eliminating bed bugs. We use premium products and follow common-sense and environmentally-conscious best practices. Call 800-649-9992 or get a quote today.